ANVIL 2019 PROGRAMME
We are a structured discussion group welcoming anyone ready to think and explore challenging ideas. To become an Associate simply send in your email address and phone number so you can be notified and sent preparatory material. You only need come to the sessions that interest you.
We have been running for 5 very successful years meeting 5 times a year. This means busy people should not be overloaded. Our format has evolved with a Main Speaker followed by a Responder. All attenders who wish can then express an opinion before we get into what is always a lively general discussion. We conclude with generous refreshments and socialising by 10.pm.
We meet in the Quaker Barn on Wincanton High Street by the Quaker Meeting House, Please arrive early as we start promptly at 7.30 p.m. You are asked to contribute £3 towards our expenses (rent, speakers travel and refreshments) when you come. Please email to book one of the 16 places we have for each session.
John Baxter email email@example.com tel 01963 34537
See ANVIL on www.johnbaxter.org for details and past meetings. Mark these dates In Your Diary!
- Wed Feb 6th Dave Wrathall is a science teacher with a masters degree in Intelligent and Adaptive Systems. He has become concerned and fascinated by Artificial Intelligence and Disruptive Technologies. Responder will be Graham Stride.
- Wed April 10th Artist Zac Greening has been living in Wincanton since 2007 (see https://www.wincantonwindow.co.uk/zac-greening-wincanton-artist.htm. Examples of his work can be seen at www.zacgreening.com. He is an environmental artist who uses his artwork to campaign and raise awareness of the issues surrounding the consumption and degradation of our natural environment. Responder John Baxter.
- Wed June 12th Banker Charles Hall, who has been working and is still active with HSBC, will be talking about the Next Depression. Is it inevitable? Responder Dr Derek Hudson.
- Wed September 18th. Brian Garton retired Head Teacher will be talking about Has Liberal Democracy A Future? Responder Liz Carter.
- November 13th Julie Arliss. Founder and Director of Academy Conferences (https://www.academyconferences.com/) will be exploring the arguments and evidence for the claims of all religions and the claims of some parapsychologists that Individuals Survive Death in some form. Responder John Baxter.
Currently we have attending those who would call themselves Humanists, Quakers, Anglicans, Catholics, Buddhists, Tories, LibDems, Greens, Socialists, Brexiteers and Remainers and those who are just confused, which perhaps goes for all of us. We do not however, evade controversy. What we have in common is a wish to hear issues explored thoughtfully with some knowledge and an opportunity to discuss them in an open and friendly atmosphere. If you have friends you think would enjoy and appreciate our sessions, please invite them to come and send me an email.